Leistungen A-Z


Bitte geben Sie einen Ort (oder Postleitzahl) an, in dem Sie die Leistung suchen.

Bitte geben Sie einen Ort (oder Postleitzahl) an, in dem Sie die Leistung suchen.
Ort suchen

Unemployment benefit II Authorisation for persons under 25 years of age

You can apply for unemployment benefit II at your relevant job centre.

Your responsible authority

Please enter a town (or postcode) where you are looking for the service search place
  • Forms

    If you live in one of the following counties, applications may vary:

  • Detailed description

    Unemployment benefit II is used for basic security, i.e. to ensure your livelihood. The basic security for jobseekers supports you with

    • benefits that you should get back to work and
    • benefits to secure your livelihood.

    The basic security benefits are transferred to your account in advance each month.

    The Jobcentre regularly checks that they are in need of help. Therefore, the Jobcentre normally grants the benefits for 12 months. Sometimes the Jobcentre grants unemployment benefit II for only 6 months, for example, if your income varies each month.

    Flat-rate amount
    You will receive a lump sum to secure your livelihood. It covers your needs such as nutrition, clothing and personal care and is adapted annually.

    Additional requirements
    If you have an increased need due to certain circumstances, you can also receive benefits for this. For example, mothers from the 13th week of pregnancy, single parents, people with disabilities or people who need a more expensive diet for medical reasons receive benefits for so-called additional needs.

    In addition, you can receive the following services:

    • Services for your accommodation and heating, as far as these costs are reasonable. The cost is reasonable depends on the policies of the municipality where you live.
    • Special case: If you are under 25 years of age and are not married and want to move out with your parents or a parent, you can only receive these benefits if you have a so-called job center assurance. You must apply for an assurance from your job centre. Enter in it the reasons for your move. You will receive an assurance if:
      • If you move without the jobcenter's assurance, the cost of the apartment and heating will not be covered by the job center. Services for the initial equipment of your apartment will not be taken over either.
      • another important reason.
      • the move to the new apartment is important in order to start a new job, or
      • serious social reasons for moving out of your parents' home and you can prove them,
    • If you have to move to a new apartment (after the assurance has been made), or if you have to accept a new job and have to move for it, the Jobcenter will pay you the necessary relocation costs and grant the rental deposit as a loan.
    • In emergencies where your livelihood is at risk, you can get a loan in the form of cash or in-kind benefits, for example, if something has been stolen or something has broken. However, a saving amount is already included in the standard rate. This means that you have to pay some purchases of the standard rate money. You can also apply for one-off benefits. Examples of this are an initial equipment of the apartment or an initial equipment during pregnancy and childbirth.
    • Contributions to your health and long-term care insurance.
    • education and participation in social and cultural life for children, adolescents and young adults (see also LeiKa number 99107032148000), such as:
      • School trips,
      • communal lunch,
      • Equipment with school supplies or
      • Learning promotion.

    Consideration of income and wealth
    The calculation of unemployment benefit II takes into account your income and assets and that of all persons with whom you live in a community of needs.

    Income includes:

    • income from non-self-employed or self-employed employment,
    • Compensation benefits such as unemployment benefit I, parental allowance or sickness benefit,
    • Capital and interest income as well as income from shareholdings,
    • income from leasing and leasing, agriculture and forestry,
    • maintenance benefits and child benefit,
    • Pensions
    • one-off income, such as tax refunds or inheritances, and
    • Vocational training allowance, training allowance, BAföG.

    Deducted from this:

    • Taxes on income (for example, payroll tax and income tax).
    • compulsory contributions to statutory social security (e.g. health insurance, long-term care insurance, pension insurance) and
    • advertising costs, i.e. costs that result in the exercise of your profession,
    • statutory insurance (e.g. motor vehicle liability),
    • a flat rate of EUR 30.00 per month for private insurance, such as household insurance and
    • Contributions for a Riester pension.

    You will also be granted an allowance for earned income. The allowance depends on the amount of your gross income.

    Your assets shall be taken into account when assessing entitlement to unemployment benefit II if it is exploitable and exceeds a certain allowance. Assets can be used directly for subsistence or their monetary value can be used for subsistence through consumption, sale, lending, rental or leasing. Assets that you are not free to dispose of are not usable, for example because the asset is pledged.

    Assets include, for example:

    • Cash
    • balances in investment accounts, savings, building savings, savings bonds, securities,
    • Capital life insurance and
    • House and land and condominiums of unreasonable size as well as other property rights in rem.

    Your assets are not taken into account:

    • A basic allowance for you and, if applicable, for your partner. This basic allowance is EUR 150.00 for each age of age. So you can calculate your basic allowance by calculating your age by 150. The minimum amount of the basic allowance is EUR 3,100. This basic allowance also applies to any minor child entitled to benefits.
    • Allowances for necessary purchases. Here you and every person living in your community of needs is entitled to an allowance of EUR 750.00.
    • Other retirement provision. This refers to assets that you have built up for retirement provision – for example, in a life insurance policy. For each age of age, you and, if applicable, your partner are entitled to EUR 750.00 free of charge. However, you may not use this money before you retire. This is contractually recorded in the so-called exploitation exclusion.


    Please note that unemployment benefit II will be reduced or may be waived if you behave in breach of duty for no good reason. You are violating your duty if, despite written information on legal consequences, you

    • refuse to fulfil your obligations under the integration agreement,
    • refuse to take up, continue or prevent a reasonable work, training, job opportunity or a supported employment relationship from being started by your behaviour, or
    • do not take, cancel or give rise to a reasonable measure for integration into work.

    Special feature for under-25s:
    If you are between 15 and under 25 years old, the Jobcenter will only cover the cost of accommodation and heating for the first breach of duty for a period of 3 months. As a rule, it then transfers the rental costs directly to your landlord. 

    If you repeatedly behave in breach of duty, the entire unemployment benefit II is no longer payable; contributions to health and long-term care insurance are no longer paid. If you agree to comply with your obligations at a later date, the responsible service provider can provide the costs of accommodation and heating. In addition, it is possible to reduce the reduction of the standard and, if necessary, the additional requirement to 6 weeks, if the circumstances of the individual case permit.

    General rules on benefits in kind
    If unemployment benefit II is reduced by more than 30 percent of the standard requirement, you can receive additional benefits in kind from the Jobcentre, such as food vouchers. You must make an application for this. The provision of supplementary benefits in kind is at the discretion of the Jobcentre. In the case of persons entitled to benefits with at least one minor child in the household, the Jobcentre is obliged to provide supplementary benefits in kind. If you receive supplementary benefits in kind, such as food vouchers, the Jobcentre also pays contributions to health and long-term care insurance. 

    Reporting obligations
    Please also note your reporting obligations at the Jobcenter. If you do not comply with the Jobcentre's request for registration for no good reason, your unemployment benefit will be reduced by 10 percent of the standard requirement. Any further failure to report leads to a further reduction of the standard requirement of 10 percent.

  • Requirements
    • They are fit for work. This means that you
      • can work at least 3 hours a day for the foreseeable future and under the usual working conditions of the labour market, and
      • of working age. This means that you are at least 15 years old and have not yet reached the age limit of 65 or 67. If you were born before 1964, you can check the age limit applicable to you in the table in Section 7a sGB II.
    • They need help. This means that you cannot fully cover your livelihood and the maintenance of your community of needs on your own.
    • You have no prior claim against other service providers or other persons, such as divorced spouses or the father or mother of your child.
    • They live in the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Documents
    • Valid identity document:
      • Identity card or
      • valid passport with current registration certificate
    • Proof of income, such as a salary certificate or current bank statements (e.g. pensions, sickness benefit, child benefit, maintenance, maintenance advance)
    • Proof of existing assets (e.g. savings, shares, securities, building savings contracts)
    • Proof of expenditure, for example by presenting bank statements (or, for example, rental contract, rental receipts, heating costs, insurance contributions documents)
    • Proof of previous benefit, also at another job centre (approval notice, proof of performance)
    • If you apply for employment:
      • working papers (including notices of dismissal or declaration of work,
      • Work certificate (to be completed by the employer)
  • Fees

    None if you have an account.

    If you do not have an account, you will receive a payment order for clearing. This is a cheque. As a result, you will incur costs of EUR 2.85, which will be deducted directly from the service to be paid. You can have the cheque converted into cash at Deutsche Post or Postbank.

  • Process

    To receive unemployment benefit II, contact your job centre.

    • Find your job center. It is located in the district where you are usually staying or registered.
    • On your first visit to the Job Centre, your personal situation will be discussed and you will receive all the application forms and documents that you will have to fill in.
    • The application forms can also be found on the Internet.
    • Complete the application documents for unemployment benefit II. You can get help in the job center or use the filling instructions in German or in other languages.
    • Submit your complete application documents to your job center. This includes:
      • Lease
      • Proof of heating and ancillary costs and
      • Proof of income and wealth.
    • The Jobcenter decides on your application.
    • You will receive the decision on your application by post.
  • Duration

    for initial applications in the field of benefits: a maximum of 14 working days are sought (prerequisite: complete documents must be available)

  • Deadline

    None, but benefits will only be granted from the month in which you applied.

    If you are currently receiving unemployment benefit, it is advisable to submit your application early before the expiry of these benefits, so that you do not run into financial distress.

  • Responsible authority

    Your local job centre (joint institution or authorised municipal institution)

    Note: If you do not find your responsible job center via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency, then visit the Jobcenter's website.

  • Legal basis
  • Pointer
    • Basic security means that your subsistence minimum is secured, i.e. securing what is necessary for life.
    • If you are not able to work but are entitled to benefits and live with one or one of the beneficiaries in a community of needs, then you can receive social benefits.
  • More informationen
  • Approved

    Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health, Women and Family

  • Approved date