Bitte geben Sie einen Ort (oder Postleitzahl) an, in dem Sie die Leistung suchen.
Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued to look for a job after recognition of foreign professional qualifications
After recognition of your foreign professional qualification, you can be granted a residence permit directly afterwards to take up a corresponding employment relationship or self-employment for a total of 12 months.
Your responsible authority
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
If the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification has been established or you have received the professional training permit, you can be granted a temporary residence permit to look for a job or to take up self-employment directly after your previous recognition procedure. This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.
You already have a residence permit for the purpose of the recognition procedure of a foreign professional qualification in Germany.
The other general conditions for granting a residence permit are in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.
- Valid National Pass
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (certificate of completion, certificate or attestation of your training company or educational institution about the successful completion of an apprenticeship
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The processing time depends on the workload in the locally responsible immigration authority.
Application before the expiry of the current residence permit. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the previous residence permit expires is recommended.
The residence permit is limited to a total of 12 months.
§ 20 paragraph 3 no. 4 of the Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act – AufenthG)
On the Internet, you can find further information on the Federal Government's portal page for skilled workers from abroad
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
District Office Harburg
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
21073 Hamburg, Germany
fax: 040 42790-7600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community