Bitte geben Sie einen Ort (oder Postleitzahl) an, in dem Sie die Leistung suchen.
Register a business
Here you can find out how to register a business and when this is required.
Your responsible authority
A business registration is always necessary if you start a standing business. This is the case with
- the establishment of a new establishment,
- establishment of a new branch,
- establishment of a new dependent branch,
- Takeover of an existing business, e.B. by purchase or lease,
- conversion of a sole proprietorship into another legal form,
- Transfer of an establishment from the area of one authority to the area of another authority (is considered a task for one authority and a new establishment for the other authority).
The business registration must be made at the same time as the start of the operation.
- The obligation to notify only exists if it is a commercial activity. Excluded from the notification obligation are the activities mentioned in § 6 paragraph 1 sentence 1 GewO.
- Primary production (livestock, arable farming, hunting, forestry and fishing)
- Liberal professions (including lawyers, notaries, tax consultants, auditors, doctors, scientific, artistic and literary activities)
- Education of children for a fee
The purpose of registering a trade is to enable the competent authority to monitor the exercise of the trade and to carried out statistical surveys.
You want to run a business. Traders are natural or legal persons (joint-stock company, limited liability company, registered cooperative or registered association, partnership limited by shares). The notification must be:
- Individual trades of individual traders,
- Partnerships (e.B. OHG, GbR) the shareholders authorized to managed the company,
- KG each personally liable partner, the limited partners of a KG only if they have management authority
- Corporations (e.B. GmbH, AG) the legal representative
- Completed business registration form
- Proof of identity (e.B.: identity card or passport )
- in the case of electronic business registration, other options for identification are also possible (e.g. electronic identity card, De-Mail, PIN/TAN procedure).
- Notarized articles of association or extract from the commercial register, consent of the shareholders (in the case of legal entities or partnerships)
- Declaration of approval by shareholders
- Supplement Authorized Representatives
Fees of at least € 26.00 are charged for the business advertisement (see fee schedule of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy, sections 22.214.171.124.1 ff. The exact amount of the fee depends on whether the applicant is a natural or legal person,
In addition, there may be: Fees for the granting of a permit required for the exercise of the trade.
You must register the start of a standing business with the responsible office. The same applies to the operation of a branch or a dependent branch.
Some commercial activities require a permit. Others are subject to the need for monitoring. Additional requirements apply to them.
Find out at an early stage which personal, financial and professional requirements you must meet in order to be able to work in these commercial areas.
You can register the business in person, in writing or electronically. To do this, use the form "Business Registration" (GewA 1) .
If you register the business as a trader not yourself, but as a managing partner or as a legal representative, you need a written power of attorney.
In the case of a written or electronic business registration, you will receive the confirmation of your business registration (the so-called "business license") within 3 days, provided that you have completed the registration form completely and correctly. If you speak in person, you will receive the confirmation directly upon registration.
The competent authority forwards the business registration to other bodies such as the tax office, the Chamber of Crafts or the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, the register court and the employers' liability insurance association.
If a permit is also required for your business (e.B. security trade) and this is not available, the responsible authority can prohibit the continuation of the operation.
The procedure can be handled by a single point of contact.
- In case of a personal interview: immediately
- For written or electronic registration: within 3 days, provided that the business registration form has been completed completely and correctly and the necessary documents are available.
You must register your business immediately at the time of setting up the business. A fine may be imposed in the event of a late notification.
Depending on the place where the business is to be operated, the local regulatory authority is the municipal or city administration.
Point of contact
The district-free cities, the responsible administrative administrations or administrations of the unofficial municipalities, the association municipalities and co-administering municipalities support you in registering a business.
The procedure can be handled through the Network of Points of Single Contact.
- Legal basis
In the event of a change in the legal form, you must submit both a business deregistration (for the cessation of business under the old legal form) and a business registration (for the start of operations under the new legal form).
What is a trade:
Trade is any activity that is not socially unvalued, profit-making and long-term, independently carried out in its own name and for its own account. It does not matter whether a profit is actually made.
In particular, these are socially unvalued activities (e.B. clairvoyance), liberal professions (such as doctors, lawyers or tax consultants) or other activities that require a university degree. Not a trade are also the original production (e.B agriculture and forestry), the scientific management consulting or the administration of own assets (e.B. a tenement house) as well as generally prohibited or socially unseen activities (e.B illegal gambling).
Ministry of Economy and Energy